History of Western Sun Masonic Lodge No. 91
The original name of our town was Concord and when the State of Ohio was mapping the State there could only be one Concord. The name was changed to Wheelersburg in 1830 in honor of Major Wheeler, a noted Indian fighter and hero of the war of 1812.
In 1827 a Charter was granted by Grand Lodge of Ohio for the town of Concord in Scioto County, to be called Western Sun Lodge. The Lodge operated thru 1832. From 1833 until 1847, our Lodge seemed to have been inactive.
Dispensation granted by Grand Master May 15, 1847.
Charter granted by Grand Lodge September 29, 1847. Assigned No 91; name, Western Sun Lodge.
Proxy issued by Grand Master, to W.M. George W. Flanders to lay cornerstone of new hall, August 23, 1859.
Grand master received information April 15, 1863, that Hall and all lodge property had been destroyed by fire, and issued warrant to the W.M. to continue work.
New Charter, same name and number, granted by Grand Lodge at session in October, 1863.
Second fire November 30, 1867, destroyed all property; and on December 6, 1867, a dispensation to continue work was granted by Grand Master.
At October session of Grand Lodge in 1868, a duplicate charter was granted.
Third fire occurred May 1, 1922, resulting in a total loss of all property.
On May 8, 1922, a dispensation to continue work was issued by the Grand Master.
A duplicate charter was granted by the Grand Lodge at October session, 1922.
Cornerstone laid November 12, 1923.
Worshipful Brother George Flanders served for sixteen years as the longest serving Master of Western Sun Lodge.
August 27, 1994 dedication of elevator with Grand Master H. Ray Evans on hand for the program and was the speaker for our Friendship Night. The elevator was a Dream Come True for our lodge.
Worshipful Brother James H. Jarvis served for twenty two years as the longest serving Secretary of Western Sun Lodge.